Saturday, June 1, 2013

Getting Older

     It's funny I look in the mirror and see myself as I have always been. The young athlete who played 5 sports and played them well. The guy who could get any girl, well most girls he wanted. Unfortunately I also see the gray in the beard and the lines on the face that weren't there before. I feel the bones creek as I get up and move around. The 3 or 4 times a night to get up and go to the bathroom. These are all the signs of a person getting older.
    Hell, when I had that heart problem some 2 years ago I thought it might be time to go, but I survived. I found exercise in the Gulf of Mexico. I lost some 55 pounds last summer. Yeah, I'm getting ready for the swimming again this summer. I'm looking at loosing another 55 pounds.
    I can't say I'm unhappy that I'm getting older. I can say that I have enjoyed a truly remarkable life on this planet. What's neat is there is still so much to do. Oh don't get me wrong I don't have some sort of bucket list that I must accomplish before I die. I just want to enjoy the rest of my life on my own terms. I lived the way others wanted me to live for the last couple of decades. I finally went to college and graduated with 3 degrees. I became a teacher and have been doing it now for some 13 years. I never got married but that doesn't seem to bother me so much. I mean women do nag a bit. I enjoy keeping company with women but it is always nice to be able to go home and close the door and enjoy one's privacy.
     I don't miss all the late nights out partying. I enjoy sitting back with a nice beer and listen to some Pink Floyd from time to time. You know getting older isn't so bad, especially when you have paid your dues and you can tell people to go pound sand. Hey, a few gray hairs aren't so bad after all. It gives one's beard some distinction. Have a great day!     

No comments:

Post a Comment