Monday, April 15, 2013

Jackie Robinson

     There's a movie just out about the famed baseball player Jackie Robinson. It's been over sixty years since Mr. Robinson started playing baseball with white folk. I would have loved to have met this man. The adversity, hate, prejudice, and anger this man had to endure just to play a game. I can't speak of the times. The only experience I had of the times was when I was in downtown Tampa and I went to the wrong water fountain. I went to the one my Father told me to go to but it was broken. I went to the one next to it and the water was good and cold. Next thing I know my father was spanking me. I went to the Negro water fountain. I was maybe 4 years old. I didn't care what color was supposed to drink there. I wanted water. I guess you could say the same thing for Mr. Robinson. He just wanted to play Baseball.
      We were wrong. America was wrong for the separation of Black and White. I have enjoyed the friendship of many Black people. Some would say they were family. I can't speak for the movie I won't go watch it. I remember the whipping and I remember the time. As a white person I'm sorry to all who suffered racism. Thank You Mr. Robinson, I never saw you play but I've seen what you started. Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and many more wouldn't have been playing if it weren't for all that Mr. Robinson accomplished. Thank You Sir.  

No comments:

Post a Comment