Thursday, April 18, 2013

You know what, I'm a Teacher.

      Since 2000, I have been a substitute teacher for Hillsborough County School District in Tampa, Florida. For the last six months, I have been on a self imposed strike. Back in October the district gave out raises. Subs received a 15 cent raise. I couldn't believe it. I was upset. I quit.
      So for the last six months, I've been trying to figure out what I would like to do with my remaining years. In Tampa, there is not much to choose from as far as jobs go. A friend of mine has hooked me up with doing some writing on the Internet. What's weird though is I actually miss the kids. They are actually cool. I like to stay with the elementary children. Well tomorrow I go back. I start off with a second grade tomorrow. I know the class and it will be easy money. It will be a great day seeing all the kids in the school. I've spent many an hour at this school and I've watched them grow up. It's not the money why I do this. It's not the prestige of being a teacher. Yeah that's right teaching is still a good profession. I guess it really is the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment